I believe that we’re in the midst of an astounding technology-fueled revolution that will change the face of society for centuries to come. To get it right, I believe that we should not be striving for perfect solutions but rather adopting the capacity to rapidly respond to changes.
2018—2019 Ethica Channel Enablement Inc.
Ethica is building a software-defined networking product based on open-source technologies. I led the Research and Development department during the pre-seed phase.
- Hired and led seven software engineers.
- Led the capture of requirements and architecture of the VPN/multi-link tunnel software, its remote management software, and the components that house and manage the tunnel.
- Deployed proof of concept by March 2019.
- Deployed a first working product by October of 2019.
2017 – 2018 Self employed
Consulting for IQVIA, a $10B US health data services firm in a client-facing role, I led the implementation of a de-identification service for specialty pharmacy data feeds.
- Managed stakeholders from IQVIA, Privacy Analytics, and a counterpart (Management Science Associates).
- Performed extensive analysis and design of the service toward HIPAA compliance, stability, completeness of data handling, stability of the production environment, and information security.
- Led the specification of features and non-functional specs for the bespoke de-identification engine. Wrote prototype scripts for transport and de-identification.
This new line of business was established, with some 90 feeds live within the first year.
2010 – 2017 – PortfolioAid Inc
Director, Business Risk and Opportunity
Acting as an internal consultant across operations, I worked with the management team on a variety of critical initiatives including:
- Modernizing the core software delivery life cycle. We implemented agile and dev-ops methodologies.
- Ensuring a secure production environment for PII and financial data for millions of Canadian investors.
- Ensuring the organization performed all of the regulatory and risk functions required to sell to the regulated wealth management industry.
- Monitoring the ROI of different products and the cost-efficacy of serving our different clients.
- Identifying innovation as key for a technology provider, I founded an R&D funding program that raised half a million dollars through grant and tax credit programs—this was invested in product development, systems modernization efforts, and automated deployment.
2007 – 2009 NikkoCiti (Japan)
At the Tokyo-based investment banking unit of Citigroup:
- Founded a new function to bridge the gap between IT and Compliance by implementing the ITIL functions of incident management and change management.
- The chief objective was production resilience despite constant changes, a complex environment, and the financial industry’s uncertain times.
- Met SOX and J-SOX audit requirements in incident ad change management.
- Reduced incidents due to changes to 1 in 600.
2000 – 2007
Technology project consultant in Japan (ING Life), Australia (Channel 7, Macquarie Bank) and North America (Telus, Sun Microsystems, Morgan Stanley, and EDS).
1994 – 1999
Specialist in technology projects at Toronto firms as Trimark Investments, Star Data, Medialinx, and imoney.
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute, 2012—present.
MSc Risk Management
Birmingham City University, 2014
Hons. BSc Geography
Brock University, 1994
Board of directors, Cycle Toronto, 2016 – 2019
- Chair, IT Governance Committee 2017—2019
- Vice President of Board of Directors 2017—2018
Board member, Society of Information Risk Analysts (US), 2015 – 2017.
Co-author: 2017 IIAC guidance on third party cyber assessment.
Author: 2017, article on deploying application vulnerability fixes in “ISACA Journal”.
Panelist: 2016 IIAC Cyber security conference.
Panelist: 2015 RSA Conference, San Francisco.
A downloadable copy of my resume is here.